Dell & Dean, PLLC
Contact Us For A FREE Consultation
866-290-5475
866-290-5475
Super Lawyers

Can a driver who helped cause a crash recover compensation?

New York law allows the injured to recover compensation for their damages when their injuries were caused by someone else's negligence. It's somewhat easy to see how this principle works in a relatively straightforward case. For instance, when a drunk driver carelessly smashes into a car that is stopped at a traffic light, it should not be hard for the driver who was stopped at the light to prove that the other driver's negligence caused her injuries.

However, in many car accidents, it is not easy to determine the cause. In some accidents, multiple vehicles are involved. In others, only two cars were involved, but both drivers did something wrong, such as exceeding the speed limit.

This raises an important question: If your actions contributed to the cause of the accident, can you still recover compensation?

The answer, as with so many questions in the law, is: "It depends."

The states treat these cases differently. In some states, anyone who has contributed to the cause of an accident is barred from recovering compensation, even if their contribution was minimal. By contrast, New York applies a legal theory known as contributory negligence.

Under New York law, a court will apportion cause for accidents in terms of percentages. If two parties were injured, both may recover compensation, but the amount of compensation is reduced in proportion to their share of the cause of the accident.

In some accidents, a court will determine that one driver was 100 percent to blame and therefore holds 100 percent of the liability for the accident. In other accidents, one driver may hold 80 percent, while the other holds 20 percent. In such a case, technically, if both were injured, both could recover compensation, but the first driver's compensation would be reduced by 80 percent and the other's by 20 percent.

If you have been injured in an accident, you know how pain and suffering, medical costs, lost wages and other damages can affect your life. Speaking to a personal injury attorney can help you understand your rights and whether you have a good chance of recovering compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get The Help You Need Today We provide a no-obligation case evaluation and will work by your side every step of the way.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Garden City Office
1225 Franklin Ave Suite 450
Garden City, NY 11530-1693

Toll Free: 866-290-5475
Phone: 516-880-9700
Fax: 516-880-9707
Garden City Law Office Map

Hauppauge Office
150 Motor Parkway
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Toll Free: 866-290-5475
Phone: 516-880-9700
Fax: 516-880-9707
Map & Directions

map1
map2